It's almost September... which means Back-To-School. 😅
Today on CTV Your Morning, I show three simple lunch ideas that kids/teens can make themselves or prepare with a little help!
1) Taco Bowls - tacos may be a little messy for school lunches, but a taco-bowl is a great way of taking the same ingredients to lunch. With some left-over rice from dinner the night before, use that as the base to build the bowl.
Here's what you'll need for a Taco Bowl Lunch:
- 1 Cup of Cooked Rice
- ½ Cup Black Beans
- ¼ Cup Chopped Lettuce
- 4-6 Chopped Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ lb Cooked Ground Beef with Taco Seasoning Mix
- ¼ Cup Shredded TexMex or Cheddar Cheese
- Guacamole, in the mini (to-go) containers at your local grocery shop
- Lunch Container with Snap on Lid
Start with rice & beans as the base in your container, then add the toppings on in sections.
2) Tortellini Pasta Salad - pre-made tortellini: just boil and strain, then add in your favourite toppings and dressing, and refrigerate the night before. Here's what you'll need:
- 1 Package of pre-made (ready to boil) Tortellini
- Salami & Mozzarella Cheese to Cube
- Grape Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil
- Italian Dressing
Start with boiling tortellini (as per package instructions). Cube cut salami and mozzarella cheese. Mix ¼ cup of mayo with 3 Tbsp of Italian Dressing.
Once the tortellini is cooked, strain and set aside. When cool, add in the toppings and dressing and mix. Put into your lunch container and refrigerate overnight. Before heading off to school, top with chopped basil.
3. Bento Box Lunch - This lunch idea is great for smaller kids, because it doesn't involve cooking. Mom or Dad just has to gather the ingredients and even younger kids can help pack their own lunch! Here are some suggestions of what can go into your Bento Box Lunch:
- apples or pears (sliced and cored, seeds removed)
- seedless grapes
- sliced deli chicken, roast beef, or ham
- hard boiled egg
- cheese (try cheddar or mozzarella, cubed)
- baby carrots
- cucumber slices
- sweet or bell peppers, sliced